Saturday, September 10, 2011

flour tortillas!!

Organic tortillas are pretty expensive. You end up spending about $5 for 6 tortillas, and if your household is anything like mine, you go through about one pack a night.
SO!
I spent a while perfecting an easy tortilla recipe.
This will make about 4-6 tortillas, so if you have more than two people eating, you may want to double it!

1&1/3 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup water

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Do not add extra water!! Use your hands to to make the mixture hold together, but don't over-work the dough. Leave the dough in the bowl and cover with a towel for 20 minutes or so. NOTE: This dough will NOT rise, the waiting period is just because for whatever reason it seems to work best this way!
Then take a ball of the dough and roll it out! It shouldn't stick to the rolling pin, but if it does, just lightly flour the rolling pin/chopping board.
Pour a little oil (I use rice bran oil) into a frying pan on high heat. Let the pan heat up. Fry the tortillas!

I made the recipe very generic so you can use whatever flour/oil you like (though I don't recommend using all corn flour with this recipe because it will come out too sticky), but here is the recipe again with the specific ingredients I use!
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white unbleached flour
1/3 cup corn masa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil or rice bran oil
1/2 cup water


I hope you all love this recipe and find it as easy as I do! Because I make these almost every night, I just filled a gallon mason jar with the dry ingredients so all I have to do each night is add the oil and water! YUM!!!

1 comment: